Wednesday, June 10, 2020

How to communicate?

I have not updated this blog for a little over a week, it feels longer!

All our residents are fit, well, happy, loved and well cared for.  We remain in lock-down and our residents have not seen their family and loved ones for more than three months,

I know that I speak for all carers, all over the country and probably world, when I say that although bonds between residents and carers were strong before the Covid-19 pandemic, but since lockdown our bonds have become even stronger, we have been cocooned with our residents, seeing them rather than our own parents and other family members and our residents have become part of our family.  I think of them before I got to sleep, when I wake in the night, and first thing in the morning (whilst also thinking about my husband and children).

We continue to keep our residents busy with a variety of different activities.  I am honest with them all, telling them everything I am doing to keep them safe
and keeping them updated as guidelines continue to change.

Communication is critical, and with our facemasks being worn at all times, this is tricky, particularly for those living with dementia who are unable to verbally communicate (and read).  I have raised these concerns to every single regulatory body and advisory group.  The feedback remains that the risk of asymptomatic transmission trumps the need to communicate.

These "expert" advisory bodies recognise the challenges and suggests;
- Put a mask on the residents so they don't get scared and feel the same as you (this does not even warrant a response from me).
- Give them a teddy or doll with a mask on (our residents are not children).
- Use an iPad to wipe board to communicate (many of our residents are not able to read or communicate in anyway, and for those who can, imagine if every single conversation you had with your loved one was on a wipe board)
- Wear stickers with your face and name on your tabard so residents know who is behind the mask (I got these made up, with the help of a company in Dubai..... and then we were advised that PPE changes meant they are no longer able to be worn).

PPE guidelines change weekly - now we are allowed no lanyards, no bright badges, no "Hello my name is..." badges, hair has to be in a bun (not plaited), headbands must be worn at all times.

So our residents now see us in masks, plain uniforms, no name badges, no smiley pin on watches.  I continue to advise the staff of these changes, and every time my heart sinks as I know we are ever so slightly chipping away at our ability to communicate.

I have done my own risk assessments, with family members and staff and for one resident who cried everytime we were with her, some staff do remove their facemasks,  she instantly brightens and relaxes.  I believe the negative impact on their wellbeing can not be under-estimated.  When I am doing activities with our residents and can ensure I am a good distance from them I do remove my mask.  When we go outside I take my mask off and keep as far as possible from them.  As the picture shows, some of our residents find other ways to communicate safely with those they meet on a walk.

I am not saying we should not wear masks, but the whole issue needs to be understood and the impact on quality of life considered with consultation with residents, and their families.

Which brings me onto this....  Tomorrow I am meeting (virtually) our MP to give him a video tour of our home, introduce him to some residents and carers and talk to him about the reality of life in a care home.

Today I am planning how to structure the conversation....

What would you want your MP to know if you were me???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every Story Matters - the Covid Enquiry

 It’s a year since I last updated this blog.  I hope that this will be the last blog entry I ever write about Covid.  I have just written th...